Elite Technical is seeking an experienced field technician to support a highly regarded IT and Communications client in the Columbus, OH area. Under general supervision, the Field Technician performs Telecom and Network installation, maintenance, and repairs to a wide variety of telecommunications systems, equipment, cabling, and to other related systems and equipment -off-site- (at our client's end customer locations) in the assigned region. The Field Tech will also perform other related work as required.
Due to the nature of the work and security at the relevant facilities, all candidates must be US citizens with the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense Secret Clearance and other government agency clearances as required.
- Responsible for the installation, repair, configuration and preventative maintenance of personal computers, network equipment, and/or telecommunications equipment.
- Performs hardware / software moves, adds, and changes (MAC). Ensures systems and related equipment are in working condition.
- Maintains records on repairs, down time, changes and updates.
- Minimal supervision- Work may be done without established procedures.
- Perform basic software troubleshooting and diagnostics,
- Serve as the point of contact for unresolved problems from the Help Desk,
- Install hardware and software including operating system and office applications,
- Responsible for providing computer hardware, software and network technical support to end-users,
- Assists with setup and configuration of system hardware and software.
From a general perspective, this is a support level position requiring thorough knowledge of the installation, maintenance, and repair of telecommunications related systems and/or equipment and the ability to:
- repair and test telecommunications related systems and equipment;
- operate related tools and equipment;
- install and operate related computer systems;
- troubleshoot and repair microprocessor based control and communication equipment;
- diagnose electronic failures to the component level;
- interpret electrical codes and regulations;
- exhibit an understanding of engineering application configurations and integration with the desktop;
- maintain accurate records and prepare reports;
- communicate effectively as well as establish and maintain effective working relationships with other contractor employees and the customer; and
- answer internal inquiries and troubleshoot software and hardware failures either in person or on the phone.
More specifically, the position requires a substantial mix of the following telecom/network knowledge and/or skills:
- experience with network and circuit testing with T1 testing specifications, DS3 testing, digital testing (BERT) and analog VG testing within Bell Core Standards.
- knowledge of and experience in the use of testing tools such as the Ameritech AM5XT, Sage 935, Digital O-scope, Halcyon 704A, Para-scope or other T1/DS3 test sets.
- good working knowledge of cable connectors and replacement, such as RJ-11, RJ-45, DB-25, V.35, RS-449;
- excellent working knowledge of fiber, working knowledge of multiplexers/multiplexing, network topology, Frame Relay, Fractional T-1, SONET Network Technology, ATM, Private Line, Voice and Data applications;
- must be proficient in using a laptop to set configurations on equipment such as Cisco routers and other components of an IP Network.
- experience implementing software changes (upload, download & SW regression), as well as installing new software and hardware into various devices such as PCs, routers, etc.;
- familiarity with configuration and operation of DNX, PSX, ISP and LPM products;
- familiarity with configuration and operation of Cisco switches and routers;
- working knowledge of power testing, AC and DC including 3 Phase AC, and familiarity with configuration and operation of the 24 VDC & 48 VDC power supplies; and
- familiarity with configuration and operation of the Harris Intraplex Chassis and channel cards a plus.
- proficiency with the components of the MS Office Suite; and
- proficiency in Microsoft and/or UNIX operating systems is a plus.
- willingness and ability to work outside regularly scheduled hours to meet operational needs and to respond to after-hours emergency calls as required;
- willingness to be responsive to callouts and periodic on call availability including working with centralized control centers;
- excellent customer service skills;
- ability to work in high-stress and high-visibility environment; and
- professional appearance.
- AA/AS degree, or equivalent, plus 4 years of telecommunications/network engineering experience is required;
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain an active DOD Secret Clearance and other required clearances;
- Ability to work from home in -on-call- status;
- Must be willing to travel (up to 100% of the time) to remote sites. Technicians may be asked to travel outside of their assigned region, as well;
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver-s License and a satisfactory driving record, as conditions of initial (and continued) employment;
- Capable of lifting 70 pounds;
- Capable of utilizing ladders and step stools to reach heights of approximately 10 feet.
This position requires the candidate to be able to obtain a Secret security clearance. In order to obtain a clearance you need to be a US Citizen and show proof of citizenship. An FAA suitability clearance is also required prior to starting work.
Friday, September 28, 2018
6+ months - possible contract to direct
Friday, September 7, 2018
Know someone who would be a good fit? We pay for referrals!